BECS comprises expertise in:
- Socio-ecological systems, including climate-ecosystem interactions and resilience of human communities;
- Decision sciences, including both analysis and decision-support;
- Theory, policy, and practice of national and international sustainable development;
- Biophysical and biogeochemical processes, including climate dynamics and elemental cycles;
- Economic policy and analysis, including economic drivers of land use change, valuation of ecosystem services, and costs of impacts of environmental change;
- Energy, natural resource management, and public and environmental health policy; and
- Environmental governance, institutions, and processes, including risk analysis and governance.