Contact Us  |  Search:  
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
Research Associateship Programs
Fellowships Office
Policy and Global Affairs
RAP Home Programs Fellowships Office & Resources
Quick Links

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Contact Us
Research Associateship Programs
500 Fifth Street, NW (Keck 576)
Washington DC 20001

Tel: 202-334-2760
Fax: 202-334-2759

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Coordinator by Agency
Find your program coordinator here


2015 November Review

Application period opens
September 1

Submission deadline is 
November 1

(5:00 PM ET)

Support document deadline is November
(5:00 PM ET)

If a deadline falls on a weekend, it moves to the next business day.



Applicant FAQ Section

Associate FAQ Section



Am I eligible for an NRC Research Associateship award?
Eligibility varies by sponsoring laboratory and some laboratories have citizenship restrictions. To determine your eligibility, you must check two different sections of the website. First, look at general eligibility criteria, which are criteria that pertain to every Associateship opportunity. If you are eligible under the general eligibility criteria, check on the specific research opportunity you are interested in for opportunity-specific eligibility requirements.

Are NRC Research Associateship awards only for postdocs?
Research opportunities are available for both postdoctoral and senior researchers. There are a limited number of programs for students enrolled in Masters and PhD programs. There are also opportunities to combine teaching with research at a federal laboratory

What are the deadline dates for each review?

 Online Application Open        Application Deadline        Support Documents Deadline Review Complete  
December 1 February 1 February 15 March 10, 2015
March 1 May 1 May 15 June 19, 2015
June 1 August 1 August 15 September 21, 2015
September 1 November 1 November 15 January 4, 2016

Must I have my degree to apply?
You can apply before receiving your degree but you MUST have completed all degree requirements before beginning tenure. 

Which Agencies accept Foreign Nationals?
To view Agencies which accept Foreign Nationals, click on the Eligibility Chart in the Program Exceptions box on the "Getting Started" screen.

Terms of an Associateship Award

What are the terms of an Associateship award?
An NRC Research Associate receives a stipend, health insurance, and a travel and relocation allowance. The stipend will vary by sponsor and can be found on the Research Opportunity pages.

What is the length of an Associateship award?
Most awards are for one year, renewable for up to three years. Some awards initially are two years. Applicants should check specific agency details on this website to determine the initial term of the award.

Can an Associateship award pay for research done at my current institution?
Associateships are awarded to individuals to do research on-site only at sponsoring laboratories and affiliated institutions participating in our program

Is my Associateship award categorized as employment? Who is considered to be my employer?
Associateship awards to Postdoctoral and Senior researchers under the NRC Research Associateship Program are characterized as non-compensatory grants. Since you are conducting independent research at a host laboratory, you are not considered an employee of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering or the federal laboratory.

Applying for an Associateship Award

What do I need to do before applying?
Prior to applying, you must identify a prospective Adviser and a Research Opportunity. You must contact the Adviser before applying to assure mutual interest in hosting you as a postdoc/visiting scientist.

How do I apply for an Associateship award?
The application is completed online in the NRC WebRap system. Prior to accessing WebRAP, prospective applicants should read all pages of the Research Associateships website. Follow the instructions on Getting Started and proceed to How to Apply.

During the application process, you will need to enter information and upload certain documents. Uploads include a Statement of Previous Research, an abstract of the PhD dissertation (for postdoctoral applicants), a List of Publications, and a Research Proposal. Applicants are also responsible for providing Support Documents (Reference Reports and Transcripts, when applicable)

What should I include in my Research Proposal?
Your Research Proposal, written by you, must relate to a specific Research Opportunity at the sponsoring federal laboratory. Before writing a proposal you are advised to communicate directly with the prospective Research Adviser, who can provide more specific information on current research and available technical facilities and offer scientific support of proposal development. Guidelines for writing the Research Proposal can be found [here]/

What are the guidelines for uploads?
Documents to be uploaded must be in PDF format in a standard typeface no smaller than 12-point font, 1” margin and double-spaced.

PhD Dissertation Abstract (Postdocs only) – maximum 1 page
Previous and Current Research – maximum 4 pages
List of Publications – maximum 2 pages
Research Proposal – maximum 10 pages

What are Supporting Documents?
Supporting Documents consist of Transcripts (not required for Senior applications), immigration documents, and Reference Reports. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact their reference writers.

Will I be notified when my application is complete?
You may check the status of your application online to verify that all documents have been received.

How are applications reviewed?
Applications are reviewed by panels of experts in the discipline area of your proposal. Reviewers include leading researchers in science, engineering and technology from academia, government and industry.

What criteria are applied to the review?
The criteria that are applied to the review can be found here.

How do I get feedback on the review of my application?
You may check the status of your application online. You will be able to see your scores and comments approximately 1 week after the Review Complete date. If your application was not reviewed, you will be able to see why.

What happens after the review is completed?
If you passed the review, you are then eligible for an award. Eligibility means that the agency can select you if funding is available. Agency decisions are based on your relative rank among other applicants and additional factors including importance of your proposed work to the mission of the agency.

How long does the award decision process take?
This varies by agency. In some cases it could be very soon after the review but more typically it will be 4-8 weeks after the review is finalized. Decisions where funding is in question may take longer.

Who notifies me if I am selected to receive an award?
In most cases, you will be notified by the NRC regarding an award offer. For applicants to NIST Research Opportunities, notification will come directly from NIST.

If I do not receive an award when can I reapply?
Candidates who were recommended for an award by the panels but who were not offered an award because of funding or other limitations may reapply at any time without a mandatory waiting time.

Persons who have previously applied for an Associateship but who were not recommended for an award by the panels may reapply after one year. Applicants who do not pass the review must wait one year to reapply. Applicants are encouraged to read the comments of reviewers in their application module to improve their application prior to reapplying.

I have previously held an NRC Research Associateship. Am I eligible to apply for another award?
Persons who have previously held an NRC Research Associateship may apply for another award only if a period of at least two years will have elapsed between termination of the first award and the proposed tenure of a second.

Can I use Support Documents from a previous review?
Our Panels allow References to be used for one year. Transcripts can be carried over without any restrictions if there are no changes. 
How many Agencies can I apply to in each review?
You can apply to a maximum of three different Agencies (i.e. AFRL, NRL, EPA) in each review.


To the Top


 Starting Tenure

If I am offered an award, when can I start? 
In the event an award is offered, the date on which tenure may begin is negotiated on an individual basis, normally within six months of the award. The starting date may be delayed by mutual agreement of sponsoring federal laboratory, the Associate, and the Associateship Programs office, but cannot be later than one year from the offer date. If this condition cannot be met, a new application, including a newly approved research proposal, must be submitted to the Fellowships Office and will be judged without prejudice in the next competition.

How do I initiate my relocation to the lab?

You should submit your Request for Movement of Household Goods form to at least three weeks prior to your proposed move date. Your request will be sent to our contracted moving company, Azar Storage, and they will contact you directly to arrange your move.

If I don’t have a place by the time of the move, can goods be stored?
RAP Travel does not cover storage costs as part of relocation.

Can I move pianos? Cars?
These are not covered by RAP Travel but you can negotiate with the mover to move the piano and pay directly when your other goods are moved.

What if my goods are damaged?
In the event of loss or damage to the shipment, the Associate should make notations on the carrier’s inventory of articles at the time of delivery. The notations made at the time of the delivery do not constitute filing a claim in writing. This notation is made to support any claims that may be filed later. Damage claims are between the mover and the Associate.

Can I use another company?
No. We have negotiated a contract with a moving company to ensure that relocation rules and regulations are enforced and that negotiated rates are reasonable.

Can I move myself?
A self-move is considered an exception and is subject to formal approval by RAP Travel in advance of the move. Be sure to keep all documentation and itemized receipts, which we will need to reimburse you.

Insurance and Stipend Payments

When will my stipend begin?
 Your stipend will begin once your laboratory Adviser confirms your official start date by responding an e-mail notification they receive. Stipends are paid at the end of the month and your first payment will be for the number of days you were on tenure during that month.

Why did I receive my first check as a check and not direct deposit?
As with most payroll systems, a test must be done to make sure the routing and account numbers are verified through the ACH Bank Transit system. If a direct deposit fails, a check will be issued after a 14-day waiting period.

When can I expect my health insurance identification card?
The Fellowships Office will process your health insurance application once your Starting Date form has been received from the laboratory confirming that you have officially started tenure. The NRC will send your application to CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield with the current address listed in your online Associate profile. You will receive your health ID card directly from CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield within 1-2 weeks.
I will be traveling abroad this month and I was wondering what to do about health insurance. Does the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield plan cover me while I am overseas?
 As long as you are on professional or programmatic travel for your Associateship you are covered by health insurance. If medical costs are incurred while on travel, you will have to pay out of pocket and submit a claim to CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield when you return home.


Am I required to use the Fellowships Office Travel Agency to book my travel?
All airline travel must be booked through Omega Word Travel to ensure that federal regulations are met. Costs of travel not booked through Omega may not be reimbursed.
If I want to request a travel advance when should I send my Travel Authorization to RAP Travel?
 Travel Authorizations need to be received no later than 30 days before the departure date.
Will my travel reimbursement be issued via check or direct deposit?
 For U.S. citizens/permanent residents, reimbursements will be issued through direct deposit if this is how your stipend is paid.
For nonresident aliens, mid-month reimbursements will be issued via check. Month-end reimbursements will be issued through direct deposit if this is how your stipend is paid.
Where can I find a list of the current per diem rates?  
The per diem rates are set by the Federal government. Domestic per diem rates can be found at; international per diem rates are found at
Are rental cars allowable for professional/programmatic travel?
 Due to federal regulations, rental car approvals are issued on a case by case basis. A justification for the rental car must be provided on the travel authorization form.
Can personal travel be combined with professional/programmatic travel?
Yes. However, personal travel must be approved on the Travel Authorization Form and any increase in airfare  as a result of including personal travel will be the Associate’s financial responsibility.
Are fax transmittals allowable?
 You can send the Travel Authorization Form via fax. However, we do request that all Travel Expense Reports be mailed with original receipts.


My taxes are due soon and I haven’t received a 1099-MISC or W-2. What does this mean?
As an Associate with the NRC Research Associateships Program, you will not receive a 1099-MISC or W-2 from the Fellowships Office.  If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you will receive a Statement of Stipends Paid Memorandum through email in mid-February.  This memo will state your stipend, travel, and health insurance amounts for the tax year. If you are a nonresident alien, you will receive a Form 1042-S in mid-April.
Do I need to pay social security tax?
No. Fellowship awards to postdoctoral researchers under the NRC Research Associateship Program are classified as non-compensatory grants. Since you do not perform services in return for your award, you are not considered an employee and do not pay social security tax.
When is my tax return due?
Your filing deadline is dependent on your residency for tax purposes. If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, your filing date will be April 15th. If you are a nonresident alien, your due date will generally be June 15th. However, if you meet the Substantial Presence Test, you are considered to be a resident for tax purposes and must file by April 15th. Guidance on the Substantial Presence Test can be found on the IRS website at
I’m a nonresident alien. Why did you withhold tax on my work-related travel expenses?
The Academies are required to withhold at 14% on all payments made to you, or on your behalf. All travel expenses are considered a benefit of the award and are taxable. Taxable travel includes reimbursements made to you and any direct-billed expenses booked through our travel agency or moving company.