SAVE THE DATE
The Role of Advanced Technologies in Structural Engineering for More Resilient Communities
A workshop hosted by the ResilientAmerica Roundtable
and the Board on Infrastructure and the Constructed Environment
of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
in collaboration with the SEI/ASCE Advances in Information Technology Committee
Tuesday, September 26, 2017
8:30 am - 4:45 pm
Reception to follow
100 Academy Way, Irvine, CA 92617
Across the nation, communities are taking action to build their resilience to extreme events. As communities look to achieve more efficient and effective disaster risk reduction, opportunities exist for design professionals to help them advance their efforts using innovative and forward-looking technologies. For example, new structural materials and systems are emerging that are smart, connected, adaptive, sustainable and that will perform in a predictable manner. The question is how to best connect these advancements with community resilience objectives, outcomes, and goals. This workshop brings together representatives from the public, private, and academic sectors to explore the role that advanced technologies and design innovation can play in structural engineering and construction to promote more resilient communities as they prepare for the next hazard event and how to quickly recover afterwards.
This workshop will:
- Explore the role of advanced technologies and structural performance data in existing infrastructure and built systems to enhance resilience and promote faster recovery;
- Discuss the future role of advanced technologies and design practice in promoting community resilience --what does a resilient city’s built infrastructure look like in the future? and,
- Identify research gaps or opportunities in development and use of advance technologies and design for building resilient infrastructure.
We hope you will join us for this exciting event! If you have any questions, please contact: Maggie Esch (email@example.com).
AGENDA (Please check back for updates to the agenda)
Purpose: This workshop will bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and noted leaders to explore the role of innovative technologies and smart infrastructure in building more resilient and sustainable communities; including:
- How can advanced technologies and structural performance data in structural engineering support the design of infrastructure and built systems that enhance resilience and promote faster recovery?
- What are today’s most promising innovations in technology and how are communities benefiting?
- What is the future role of advanced technologies and design practice-- what does a resilient city’s built infrastructure look like in the future?
- What are the research gaps or opportunities in development and use of advance technologies and design for building resilient infrastructure?
8:30 – 8:40 am - Welcome and Introductions
8:40 – 9:00 am - Setting the Stage: From Resilient Infrastructure to Resilient Communities: how can emerging technologies support community efforts to become more resilient?
9:00-10:15 am - Panel: Enabling Community Resilience: Innovative Technologies in the Built Environment
- What roles or functions do technologies and infrastructure play in a resilient community?
- How can infrastructure investments today ensure resilience in communities in the future and across the design life of the infrastructure?
- How can technologies and infrastructure be integrated into current systems and planning to build resilience?
10:15 – 10:45 am - Break
10:45 – 12:30 pm - Innovative Technologies: What are they now, what could they be in the future?
- What is the vision for built infrastructure in resilient communities of the future? How can we better apply these technologies to benefit society?
- What is the “out of the box” thinking for the future? What does the next wave of research and design entail?
12:30 – 1:45 pm - Lunch
1:45 -2:15 pm - Featured Speaker – How are cities thinking about the role of technologies and structural engineering for the future?
2:15 – 3:30 pm - Panel: Visions of the Future: Enabling Design and Integration of Emerging Technologies
- How could emerging technologies and innovations be integrated into the built environment? What are the potential challenges?
- How can decision makers build flexibility into their current decisions and initiatives to account for innovation and technological advances to come?
- How can decision makers, planners, and other stakeholders effectively use emerging technologies and innovations with current infrastructure projects and initiatives? And future ones?
3:30 – 4:00 pm - Break
4:00 – 4:30 pm - Where Are We & What’s Next
4:30 – 4:45 pm - Closing Remarks
5:00 – 6:30 pm - Evening Reception