Preparing and sustaining our nation’s science and engineering workforce is the foundation for our global leadership in science, medicine, and technology and our global economic competitiveness. Our leadership in these areas allows the United States to remain at the forefront in the creation of new knowledge and innovation and contributes to our nation’s goals for energy, the environment, health care, national security, and the economy.
At the National Academies, the Board on Higher Education and Workforce (BHEW) provides policymakers, business executives, and academic leaders with insights and recommendations on critical higher education and science and engineering workforce issues facing the nation.
With its work grounded firmly in data analysis, the mission of BHEW is to:
- Analyze issues in higher education that affect our nation’s ability to meet national goals;
- Enhance the education and careers of doctoral scientists and engineers;
- Connect higher education with the labor market for the broader science and engineering workforce; and
- Improve the participation of underrepresented groups in science and engineering.
BHEW focuses the expertise of scientists, engineers, educators, and economists on the assessment of important issues and the formulation of policy recommendations for key audiences:
- Federal Government (US Congress, Executive Administration and Agencies)
- State Governments
- Higher Education Institutions (Administrators and Faculty)
- The philanthropic community
BHEW studies are carried out by ad hoc study committees composed of national experts with subject matter and methodological expertise. The committees use a variety of quantitative and qualitative techniques to gather information and develop findings: literature reviews, primary and secondary data collection, statistical analysis, public workshops, committee briefings, surveys, focus groups, and interviews. Study committees develop conclusions and recommendations through a consensus process that leads to a book-length study report disseminated to key stakeholders and audiences.