The mission of the Board on Research Data and Information is
to improve the stewardship, policy, and use of digital data and
information for science and the broader society.
Announcing the winners of the
BRDI Data and Information Challenge
First Place: Adam Asare, et al., "ITN TrialShare: Enabling True Clinical Trial Transparency"
The winners will present their winning entries in Washington, DC on October 23. Details to follow.
STATEMENT OF TASK
The Board on Research Data and Information (BRDI) maintains surveillance of the field and proposes initiatives that might be undertaken at the National Research Council (NRC), targeted at challenges of national and international significance of particular interest to the board's sponsors. The Board engages in planning, program development, and administrative oversight of projects launched under its auspices. Acting through the NRC, BRDI focuses on the following tasks within its primary mission areas:
- Address emerging issues in the management, policy, and use of research data and information at the national and international levels.
- Through studies and reports of the NRC, provide independent and objective advice, reviews of programs, and assessment of priorities concerning research data and information activities and interests of its sponsors.
- Encourage and facilitate collaboration across disciplines, sectors, and nations with regard to common interests in research data and information activities.
- Monitor, assess, and contribute to the development of U.S. government and research community positions on research data and information programs and policies.
- Initiate or respond to requests for consensus studies, workshops, conferences, and other activities within the Board's mission, and provide oversight for the activities performed under the Board's auspices.
- Broadly disseminate and communicate the results of the Board's activities to its stakeholders and to the general public.
BRDI also represents the U.S. National Committee for CODATA.
We are grateful for the following grants for support of the Board on Research Data and Information:
Department of Energy, DE-SC0008645;
Institute of Museum and Library Services, IMLS: LG-00-09-0195-09;
National Institute of Standards and Technology, SB1341-09-CN-0095;
National Institutes of Health, NIH: N01-OD-4-2139;
National Science Foundation, OCI-1040898;
Alfred P. Sloan Foundation; and
Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.