December 9, 2015 - 1pm ET/10am PT
What Economics and Policy Can Learn from Engineering and Design
Please join us for a discussion with Guru Madhavan, a biomedical engineer, Senior Program Officer at the National Academies, and author of the recent book "Applied Minds: How Engineers Think," about how the application of concepts including optimization, reliability, and efficiency could help inform and enhance approaches in economics and public policy to solve the world's most difficult questions.
February 23-24, 2016
Next meeting topic TBD.
Future GUIRR Meeting Dates:
March 21-22, 2016 (T-Summit)
June 21-22, 2016
October 25-26, 2016
View past meetings
Have a great topic idea for a GUIRR meeting? Suggest a topic
|March 21-22, 2016 |
T-Summit 2016: Transformational Approaches to Creating T-Shaped Professionals
GUIRR will co-host T-Summit 2016 with the University Industry Demonstration Partnership, IBM, and Michigan State University. The meeting will focus on how academia and industry can equip students and employees for the workforce of the future. Some of the issues that will be discussed at T-Summit 2016 are:
Find more information on the T-Summit.
- Examining the role of the public sector in cultivating T-shaped professionals.
- Learning how universities are changing curricula and practices to bolster the T-shaped movement.
- Comparing the needs of young professionals against employer needs and challenges.
- Discussing effective methods for fostering interdisciplinary, transformative learning in business, government and academia.
- Ensuring that students understand the value of T-shaped skills and proactively seek out opportunities to develop those skills.