Best Practices for a Future Open Code Policy for NASA Space Science
Statement of Task
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine will establish an ad hoc committee to investigate and recommend best practices for NASA as it considers whether to establish an open code and open models policy, complementary to its current open data policy. In carrying out the study the committee will:
- Review and describe examples of code / modeling policies developed by research teams and communities in the NASA-supported disciplines of Earth Science and Applications from Space, the Space Sciences, and other research communities, as appropriate;
- Develop a set of lessons learned from these established approaches-- paying particular attention to issues such as, but not limited to, proprietary, export control, code/model maintenance, and documentation considerations;
- Define and describe options for policies on open codes and open models for research supported by NASA Science Mission Directorate (SMD) and assess the pros and cons of these options from the perspective of the research community and the interests of NASA; and
- Recommend a set of best practices for NASA to consider should SMD decide to adopt an open code / open model policy for research supported by the agency. The committee may also choose to present alternate sets of best practices rather than just one recommended set.
More information on this project may be viewed on our current projects website.
November 14-16, 2017
View Agenda I View Presentations
Chelle L. Gentemann - (Co-Chair)
Earth and Space Research
Mark A. Parsons - (Co-Chair)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Lorena A. Barba
The George Washington University
City University of New York Hunter College
Brenda J. Dietrich
IBM Business Solutions
Christopher L. Fryer
Los Alamos National Laboratory
University of Arizona
Sara J. Graves
Information Technology and Systems Center
University of Central Florida
Elva J. Jones
Winston-Salem State University
Maria M. Kuznetsova
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Clifford A. Lynch
Coalition for Networked Information
Melissa A. McGrath
University of Michigan
Associate Program Officer
Below is an archive list of names and a link to the slides presented at the committee meeting during open session. We have only included the slides for which the presenter has given consent to post.
Presenter names and slides are listed in the order of the agenda.Presentations which have been made available for posting will be added after the panel meeting is complete.
* No slides indicate that the presenter did not utilize slides during their presentation.
* Permission pending indicates that the presenter has not given us consent to publish the slides they presented at the meeting.
*Written materials submitted to a study committee by external sources are listed in the project's public access file and can be made available to the public upon request via the Academies Public Access Records Office.