Subscribe to our mailing list  |  Search:  
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
Research Associateship Programs
Fellowships Office
Policy and Global Affairs
Home About Applicants Associates Advisers/Sponsors Contact Fellowships Home


Welcome to the NRC Research Associateship Program’s Visa Office. The mission of the Visa Office is to provide outstanding service and professional immigration guidance to applicants, NRC Research Associates, Laboratory Advisers and Administrators, and Fellowships Office staff.  Under the program name National Academy of Sciences, we sponsor J-1 exchange visitor visas for foreign scientists participating in the NRC Research Associateship Programs or conducting research at the National Academies. We are also responsible for upholding and complying with all U.S. immigration laws and regulations pertaining to foreign scientists in our program.

Visa Options for International NRC Associates
If you are planning to apply for an NRC Research Associateship Programs award, read this page for general information about which visa categories may be used.

Maintaining Valid J-1 Status in the United States
Information for J-1 exchange visitors while they are in the United States.


Request for J-1 Visa Sponsorship
If you are planning to apply for J-1 exchange visitor status, complete and submit this form.

Request to Transfer J-1 Status to Another J-1 Sponsor
 If you are now in J-1 status sponsored by the National Academy of Sciences, submit this form in order to transfer to another J-1 sponsor following your NRC Research Associateship tenure.

Contact Us
J-1 Responsible Officer

Peggy Wilson
Visa Officer
Fellowships Office
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
500 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001

Tel: 202-334-2762
Fax: 202-334-2759