Decadal Assessment and Outlook Report on Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Science
Statement of Task
The committee will be charged with producing a comprehensive report on the status and future directions of atomic, molecular, and optical (AMO) science. The committee's report shall:
- Review the field of AMO science as a whole, emphasize recent accomplishments, and identify new opportunities and compelling scientific questions.
- Use case studies in selected, non-prioritized fields in AMO science to describe the impact that AMO science has on other scientific fields, identify opportunities and challenges associated with pursuing research in these fields because of their interdisciplinary nature, and inform recommendations for addressing these challenges.
- Identify the impacts of AMO science, now and in the near future, on emerging technologies and in meeting national needs.
- Evaluate recent trends in investments in AMO research in the United States relative to similar research that is taking place internationally, and provide recommendations for either securing leadership in the United States for certain subfields of AMO science, where appropriate, or for enhancing collaboration and coordination of such research support, where appropriate.
- Identify future workforce, societal, and educational needs for AMO science.
- Make recommendations on how the U.S. research enterprise might realize the full potential of AMO science.
In carrying out its charge, the committee might consider issues such as the state of the AMO research community, international models for support and collaboration, and institutional and programmatic barriers.