NAVIGATING THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Register by Creating an Account
To apply for one of the Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs, you must first register to create an account. Click here to register for the appropriate fellowship level. Note: If the e-mail address you enter is already in the system (e.g. you applied to one of the programs in a previous year), you will not be able to create a new account. Simply opt to Sign In instead.
- You can sign in and out of the system at any time.
- Use the left navigation to view/complete the pages. Note: The availability of navigation items may change based on the status of the competition and your submission.
- When you sign out of the application and sign back in later, you must first choose Edit this application to make any changes.
Completing an Application
There are two sections to the application: The Profile Information pages and the Application pages.
- Profile Information
- The data entered in these pages can be modified at any time and will be stored from year to year.
- Your contact and demographic information will not be shared with reviewers.
- You must complete this page before proceeding to any of the other Application pages. If you are unsure of your eligibility status, contact FordApplications@nas.edu prior to completing an application.
- Application Main
- Provide details about your proposed plan of study.
- You can modify this information until you submit your application.
- Review the (Predoctoral | Dissertation | Postdoctoral) instructions for the content of your essays.
- After you have uploaded your documents, click View Converted PDF for each file to ensure you have uploaded the correct documents.
- You can replace any uploaded files until you submit your application.
- Supplementary Material
- You will not be able to upload transcripts and verification documents (if required) until after you have submitted your application.
- After you have uploaded your documents, click View Converted PDF for each file to ensure you have uploaded the correct documents and they are legible.
- You will be able to replace any uploaded supplementary materials files until the supplementary materials deadline.
- Notifying: You must notify each reference through the online application system. When you take this action, your reference will receive a unique link directing them to a page where they can upload a letter on your behalf. Contact your letter writers personally to advise them that they will be receiving an e-mail notification from NRC-FO-NoReply@nas.edu and confirm with them that they have received the notification once you have sent it.
- Monitoring submissions: You and your reference will receive an e-mail confirmation once a letter has been successfully submitted. You can also monitor these submissions on the References and Data Review pages.
- Modifying: If you realize you have entered incorrect data for one of your references, you may edit and save the information. If the updated data was an e-mail address, you must re-notify the reference so that they receive the notification.
- You will be able to add, notify, monitor, and modify your references at any time until the supplementary materials deadline.
- Be advised that it is entirely the responsibility of the applicant to confirm that the required supplementary materials are received before the supplementary materials deadline.
- Data Review
- Review all information on the page to confirm it is correct.
- Edit any page that requires completion or revision.
Validating and Submitting an Application
- Validation symbols
- Red X: The page is incomplete and the application cannot be submitted. Make any corrections to pages with this symbol.
- Yellow warning: The page may be missing information; however, the application may still be submitted.
- Green check: The page is complete and has been validated. The application may be submitted.
- Confirm that you have reviewed your application and are satisfied with its content and format and click Submit.
- With the exception of the Supplementary Material and References pages, you will not be able to modify the Application pages of your application once you have submitted.