FORD FOUNDATION PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP
Eligibility to apply for a predoctoral fellowship is limited to:
- All U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and U.S. permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident Card); individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program;1 Indigenous individuals exercising rights associated with the Jay Treaty of 1794; individuals granted Temporary Protected Status; political asylees; and refugees, regardless of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation;
- Individuals with evidence of superior academic achievement (such as grade point average, class rank, honors, or other designations);
- Individuals committed to a career in teaching and research at the college or university level in the U.S.;
- Individuals enrolled in or planning to enroll in an eligible research-based (dissertation-required) program leading to a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree at a non-proprietary (not for profit) U.S. institution of higher education no later than Fall 2021;
- Individuals who as of the 2021 fall semester require a minimum of three years of study2 to complete their Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree; and
- Individuals who have not earned a doctoral degree at any time, in any field. 2Individuals must be enrolled full-time and may not accept full-time teaching or research assistantships, other major fellowships, internships, or similar internal or external awards during fellowship tenure and may not be concurrently enrolled in other degree granting programs.
1Eligibility includes individuals with current status under the DACA Program, as well as individuals whose status may have lapsed but who continue to meet all the USCIS guidelines for DACA.
Receipt of the fellowship award is conditioned upon awardees providing satisfactory documentation that they meet all the eligibility requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Follow the steps below to prepare and submit an application for a Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship.
- Read through the following:
- Familiarize yourself with Navigating the Online Application.
- Start an application here. The application opens on September 8, 2020.
Applicants should note that it is their responsibility to ensure that all application components--including all supplementary materials--have been entered, uploaded, and submitted by the specified deadlines.