ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be a scientist (life, physical, and/or social), engineer, or physician holding a tenured or similarly ranked faculty position at a U.S. academic institution.
- Applicant's academic institution must sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the National Academy of Sciences in order to be considered as a finalist.
- Applicants who are selected for an award will be required to undergo a security investigation to obtain a security clearance or facility access, depending on the requirements of the position.
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Stature, recognition, and experience in an academic discipline in the sciences (life, physical, and/or social), engineering, or medicine;
- Ability to rapidly and accurately understand scientific advancements both within and outside their discipline area and to effectively integrate this knowledge into U.S. Department of State and U.S. Agency for International Development policy discussions;
- Ability to articulate science and technology to the non-specialist/general public;
- Benefit of the fellowship to the applicant and the applicant's academic institution; and
- Related experience which may positively influence the success of the applicant in this fellowship.