Abstract: Uncontrolled wildfires are a growing problem that will continue to vex countries around the globe and drain their resources. In the popular press, year after year we read fire-horror stories such as
of modeling and simulation of fires, with the objective being to determine the speed and direction of spreading, utilizing fuel models for the types of combustible materials and to ascertain ecological effects that result (smoke, etc.) incorporating environmental factors: relative humidity, precipitation. There are four main classes of models:
4) Data Assimilation Models that adjust the model based on statistical models.
The topics above form the "core" of the workshop; however, other aspects related to fire events are very welcome. For example, they may touch upon:
1) Modeling and simulation of UAVS, UGVs, etc.
2) Modeling and simulation of panic, traffic systems, etc.
3) Modeling and simulation of model and data uncertainty quantification, etc.
4) Modeling and simulation of remote sensing, LiDar, optics, etc.
5) Modeling and simulation of telecommunications, etc.
6) Modeling and simulation of combustion, etc.
7) Modeling and simulation of supply chains, etc.
8) Modeling and simulation of air quality, particulate flows, etc.
Format: This workshop is by invitation only, and will be held at UC Berkeley on October 7--8, 2019. We estimate that approximately 30-40 people will attend. There are no parallel sessions, no keynote talks, and no plenary talks. Everyone will be given equal time to speak, and we will also have ample time for deep roundtable discussions.The Intersection of Advanced Additive Manufacturing, Mechanics, and Materials
Organizers: Tarek Zohdi (UC Berkeley), Chris Spadaccini (LLNL)
Location: Berkeley, California
Date: June 5, 2019
Website: http://iaam.berkeley.edu/ Non-Reciprocal and Topological Wave Phenomena in Solids and Fluids
Dates: May 28--31, 2019
Committee: Andrew Norris, Chair (1), Guoliang Huang, Local Organizer (2), Michael R. Haberman (3), Carolyn C. Seepersad (3)
(1) Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, the University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, email@example.com
(3) Department of Mechanical Engineering, the University of Texas at Austin, firstname.lastname@example.org
and email@example.com USNC/TAM AmeriMech Symposia
1. "Interfaces and Mixing - Non-Equilibrium Transport Across the Scales"
Chair/Submitter: Snejana Abarji; firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizing Committee: Snezhana I. Abarzhi (email@example.com
), William A. Goddard (firstname.lastname@example.org
), and Mark Schlossman (email@example.com
Location: Denver, CO (venue TBD)
Dates: November 18-19, 2017
AmeriMech Rep: J. Dabiri
2. "Computational Mechanics of Particle-Functionalized Fluid and Solid Materials for Additive Manufacturing and 3D Printing Processes"
Organizers: Tarek I. Zohdi (UC Berkeley) and Eric Shaqfeh (Stanford)
Logistical Coordinators: Maxwell Micali and Zeyad Zaky
Location: UC Berkeley, Sibley Auditorium, Bechtel Engineering Center
Dates: May 30-31, 2017
3. "Mechbio symposium: Putting together the Cell Mechanome: Finding the pieces, building the puzzle"
Chair/Submitter: Padmini Rangamani; Padmini.firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: San Diego, CA
Dates: August 4-5, 2016
AmeriMech Rep: T. ZohdiWatch the video via Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/243926011
4. "Fluid Transport and Nonlinear Dynamics"
Chair/Submitter: George Haller; email@example.com
Location: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA
Quisset Campus, Clark Building, Room 509
Dates: May 16-20, 2016
AmeriMech Rep: J. Dabiri
5. "Mechanical Behavior of 2D Materials - Graphene and Beyond"
Chair/Submitter: Rui Huang; firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Austin, TX
Dates: April 4-6, 2016
AmeriMech Rep: T. ZohdiWatch the video via Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/243926067
6. "Nonlocal Models in Mathematics, Computation, Science, and Engineering"
Chair/Submitter: Pablo Seleson; email@example.com
Location: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
Dates: October 26-28, 2015
AmeriMech Rep: T. Zohdi
7. "Mechanics in Biology II"
Chair/Submitter: Sunghwan Jung; firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Dates: May 22-23, 2014Watch the video via Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/243925962