Arab-American Frontiers Home > Frontiers Fellowships
Arab-American Frontiers Fellowship Details
The Arab-American Frontiers Symposium aims at establishing long-term bi- or multi-national research cooperation. To further this goal, a small number of Fellowships are provided to teams of participants who intend to cooperate.The Fellowship funding can be used for short-term exchanges to conduct research at a host research institution for a period of up to a month, to develop new research ideas, curricula, etc.
The applicants must have participated in the seventh Arab-American Frontiers Symposium held and must have received approval from his/her home institution and a host institution of another Arab-American Frontiers participant. Teams of applicants should come from different countries; the host or home institutions do not have to be in the United States.
Terms of the 2020 Fellowship
- All exchanges must be completed before September 30, 2020.
- Selected recipients will receive a grant of up to $2500 for living expenses for up to 4 weeks. In addition, they will receive funds for travel to the destination of their exchange.
- Travel funding will be determined by the U.S. National Academies and will be based on distance between the recipient’s home institution and host institution.
- The recipient’s home institution will agree to support the exchange by receiving and disbursing grant funds.
- The recipient’s host institution will be responsible for assisting the recipient in finding housing and by providing other on-the-ground assistance, including support for research.
- The recipients are obliged to submit a short report (max. 3 pages) to the U.S. National Academies within 6 weeks of termination of the working visit. Instances of successful long-term cooperation resulting from these grants also have to be announced to the U.S. National Academies.
The deadline to submit a fellowship application is December 31, 2019. Before applying, you must receive approval from the home and host institutions.
A complete application, written in English only, should be submitted to email@example.com and consists of:
- Completed application form
- CVs [limited to 3 pages, including name of graduate degree institution; most relevant research and work experience, publications, presentations, etc.] of both visitor and host
- Statement of Interest/Proposed Research; limited to 2 pages. Please address the following in your statement:
- Specific activities to be undertaken by the collaborators including aims and objectives (possibly with indications of planned visits of cooperating partners to conferences or lectures at the partner institute).
- What are your intended outcomes of this exchange in terms of your research and professional development?
- Budgetary allocation among applicants.
- Letter from the host institution that states the host researcher’s intention for collaboration, and specifies the type and level of support and/or resources that will be provided to you to successfully carry out your planned research; limited to 2 pages. The letter must be written on official institutional letterhead and signed by an official at the host institution who is authorized to commit the institution to be involved in the project.
- Letter of support (written on official institutional letterhead) from an official at the home institution of employment that states the institution’s willingness to support the participation of its staff in the proposed project (including time off for an exchange), accept grant funding from the NAS, and to disburse the funding in a timely manner to the recipient as a single payment without transaction fees or overhead; limited to 2 pages.
Applications are reviewed by a panel of experts forming a selection committee. Criteria for selection include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrated ability to achieve proposed goal
- Potential for continued interaction after the proposed activities
- Cost-effectiveness of proposed budget
- Support of applicants’ institutions
Click here to learn more about the 2018 Fellows and their projects.