Don’t fall for false claims.
Eating or avoiding certain foods won’t prevent you from getting COVID-19. Even worse, some fake “cures” can hurt you.
- There are many false claims about COVID-19. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating fraudulent products claiming to prevent, diagnose, or treat COVID-19.
- There is no evidence that foods such as garlic or bananas can protect you from the coronavirus.
- Consuming foods or drinks that are cold or hot cannot prevent you from getting COVID-19.
- Eating or fasting for parts of the day cannot prevent you from getting COVID-19.
- There is no evidence that dietary supplements can “boost” or “supercharge” your immune system to protect you from infections.
Eating well is important for your overall health.
Eating nutritious foods can help you feel good and maintain a healthy weight.
- Scientists recommend a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.
- Eating well makes you less likely to get chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- It is important to follow proper food safety practices such as washing your hands, utensils, and surfaces often and refrigerating and freezing food properly.
Washing your hands and cleaning surfaces are ways to protect yourself from COVID-19.
You can take action to avoid catching COVID-19.
- Handwashing is one of the many important things you can do to stop the spread of COVID-19 and other diseases. Use soap and water and scrub vigorously for 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if you are not near a sink.
- The spread of COVID-19 can be slowed by limiting person-to-person interactions. Avoid close physical contact with other people and stay home if possible.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- The change in seasons may or may not affect the spread of COVID-19
- Prevent the spread of COVID-19 by washing your hands often
- Heating your skin will not kill the coronavirus—and it could burn you
- COVID-19 is different from the flu
- Does ultraviolet light kill the coronavirus
- How long does coronavirus live on surfaces
- Does hand sanitizer kill the coronavirus?
- Do bleach and other disinfectants kill the coronavirus?
- Can you catch COVID-19 from food?
- Do homemade cloth masks protect against the novel coronavirus?
- Having antibodies to the novel coronavirus is not the same thing as having immunity to COVID-19
- Can copper supplements fight COVID-19?
- Does zinc help fight the coronavirus?
- Lemon juice does not cure COVID-19
- The flu vaccine does not affect COVID-19 test results or the likelihood of catching COVID-19
- Ginger does not prevent or cure COVID-19
- Does witch hazel kill the coronavirus?
- Does sunlight kill the coronavirus?
- Can probiotics help fight COVID-19?