Contact Us  |  Search:  
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
Research Associateship Programs
Fellowships Office
Policy and Global Affairs
RAP Home Programs Fellowships Office & Resources
Quick Links

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Contact Us
Research Associateship Programs
500 Fifth Street, NW (Keck 576)
Washington DC 20001

Tel: 202-334-2760
Fax: 202-334-2759

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Coordinator by Agency
Find your program coordinator here


2015 November Review

Application period opens
September 1

Submission deadline is 
November 1

(5:00 PM ET)

Support document deadline is November
(5:00 PM ET)

If a deadline falls on a weekend, it moves to the next business day.



-        Personal Profile Section        -         Application Section         -         Support Documents Section      -


Support Documents
Support Documents consist of Transcripts (if applicable) and Reference Reports.

Postdoctoral applicants must provide a record (transcripts) of courses and grades from all post-secondary (undergraduate and graduate) institutions attended. Transcripts and other documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified translation into English. (Transcripts are not required of Senior applicants).

Postdoctoral applicants, who hold a doctoral degree from a non-U.S. institution that does not issue transcripts, must request an official statement to this effect; in addition, the university statement must confirm that you are currently in a doctoral program or have been awarded the doctorate. Furthermore, when transcripts are not available, you must provide the National Academies with a complete listing of all courses and grades for your undergraduate and graduate studies. These listings are to be signed and dated on each page.

Student-issued transcripts or photocopies are acceptable at the time of application, but if you are selected for an award, official transcripts bearing the university seal must be sent from the institution directly to the Research Associateship Programs Office.

Reference Reports
To request references, all applicants must electronically notify their referees. The Fellowships Office does not notify them or make these requests for you. The applicant will be able to notify references multiple times if necessary, as well as track the receipt of each request before and after the application is submitted.

Immigration Documents
All non-U.S. citizens who are in the United States now, or who have recently held J-1 status in the United States, must send legible copies or scans of their immigration documents. Depending on your status, these may include:

  • passport, showing personal data and dates of validity
  • visa(s)
  • I-94 Departure Card
  • DS-2019s or I-20s form
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Permanent Resident Alien card

 Back to the Application Section