NETL METHANE HYDRATE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, in association with the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), administers a Research Fellowship Program designed to support the development of Methane Hydrate science and enable highly qualified graduate and postgraduate students to pursue advanced degrees and training in an area of increasing national interest.
With respect to the energy production potential of gas hydrates, interest is in projects that will provide improved tools, methods, and information relative to the remote detection, characterization, and appraisal of production potential of Methane Hydrates. With respect to gas hydrates as a part of the global environment, interest is in projects that provide an improved understanding of the processes that control the distribution, occurrence, and stability of gas hydrates in marine and permafrost settings.
- M.S., Ph.D., and Postdoctoral applicants
- Open only to U.S. citizens
TENURE AND TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
- Two or three years
- Any federal laboratory or accredited university in the United States
February Review - February 1
August Review - August 1
Interested applicants in the Methane Hydrate Program application should send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- E-mail address
- Place of birth (city, state)
- Whether or not your name should be posted if awarded (yes or no)
- How you heard about the program
- Complete contact information for the Adviser you plan to work with
- Degree you will be pursuing
Once the above information has been received and entered on your behalf, you will contacted by Fellowships Office staff to complete your application online.
February Review - February 15
August Review - August 15
STIPENDS, SUPPLEMENTS, AND ALLOWANCES
- Master’s Level (Fellow) begins at $30,000 with a maximum 2-year tenure and an annual experience increment of $1,000 for the second year.
- Ph.D. Level (Fellow) begins at $35,000 with a maximum 3-year tenure and an annual experience increment of $1,500 for the second and third years.
- Postdoctoral Level (Research Associate) begins at $60,000 with a maximum 2-year tenure and an annual experience increment of $2,000 for the second year.
Supplement for Research Supplies
- Postdoctoral Associates will receive an appropriately higher stipend based on the number of years of experience past their Ph.D.
- Master's Students: up to $15,000
- Ph.D. Students: up to $20,000
- Research Associates: up to $25,000
National Energy Technology Laboratory Methane Hydrate Fellowship Program (NETL/MHFP) - Morgantown, WV NRC RAP Program Administrator - Washington, DC