NETL METHANE HYDRATE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, in association with the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), administers a Research Fellowship Program designed to support the development of Methane Hydrate science and enable highly qualified graduate and postgraduate students to pursue advanced degrees and training in an area of increasing national interest.
With respect to the energy production potential of gas hydrates, interest is in projects that will provide improved tools, methods, and information relative to the remote detection, characterization, and appraisal of production potential of Methane Hydrates. With respect to gas hydrates as a part of the global environment, interest is in projects that provide an improved understanding of the processes that control the distribution, occurrence, and stability of gas hydrates in marine and permafrost settings.
- M.S., Ph.D., and Postdoctoral applicants
- Open to U.S. citizens only
TENURE AND TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
- Two or three years
- Any federal laboratory or accredited university in the United States
February Review - February 1
August Review - August 1
Application Instructions and Requirements
Individuals interested in applying to the Methane Hydrate Program should send complete contact information for the proposed fellowship Adviser to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once this information has been received and entered in our database, applicants will contacted by the Fellowships Office to register an online application through the NRC Research Associateship Programs application module.
Applicants should refer to the Application Instructions and Requirements and Navigating the Online Application for the NRC Research Associateship Programs.
The Research Opportunity number for the NETL Methane Hydrates Program is AH.00.00.B9001.
STIPENDS, SUPPLEMENTS, AND ALLOWANCES
- Master’s Level (Fellow) begins at $30,000 with a maximum 2-year tenure and an annual experience increment of $1,000 for the second year.
- Ph.D. Level (Fellow) begins at $35,000 with a maximum 3-year tenure and an annual experience increment of $1,500 for the second and third years.
- Postdoctoral Level (Research Associate) begins at $60,000 with a maximum 2-year tenure and an annual experience increment of $2,000 for the second year.
Supplement for Research Supplies
- Postdoctoral Associates will receive an appropriately higher stipend based on the number of years of experience past the Ph.D.
- Master's Students: up to $15,000
- Ph.D. Students: up to $20,000
- Research Associates: up to $25,000
National Energy Technology Laboratory Methane Hydrate Fellowship Program (NETL/MHFP) - Morgantown, WV NRC RAP Program Administrator - Washington, DC