The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
Development, Security, and Cooperation
Policy and Global Affairs
Home About DSC
Quick Links

FREE Reports     

Download free PDFs of
ALL Academy Reports

All reports available on the National Academies Press (NAP) website are now offered free of charge to web visitors.

Contact us

Keck Center
500 5th St NW - KWS 502
Washington, DC 20001

Tel: (202) 334-2800
Fax: (202) 334-2139


DSC Homepage  >  IANAS Fellowship  >  Information about Entering the U.S. as an IANAS Fellow

Entering the United States as an IANAS Fellow

If you are offered the IANAS Fellowship, you will be required to submit an “Application to Participate in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program at The National Academies.” Using the Form DS-2019 issued by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, you must apply for a J-1 exchange visitor visa to the U.S.

You will be responsible for booking your own flight to and from the United States.

Once you arrive in the U.S., it is mandatory that you notify the Visa Officer at The National Academies of your presence in the U.S. At that time, you will be asked to provide via email a copy of your visa stamp, passport, 1-94 Departure Card, Form DS-2019, and residence address in the U.S.

Your host institution in the U.S. should assist you with finding housing, learning how to navigate the city or town where the institution is located, and ensuring that you are welcomed at their institution. 

Important Immigration Forms for IANAS Fellows

Application to Participate in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program at The National Academies